Christianity Today cover story on Asian Americans
Christianity Today Magazine’s October 2014 cover story is “Asian Americans: Silent No More — Asian American Christians are growing in influence and audience. Will they be embraced by their broader church family?” by Helen Lee, who recently started a new role at InterVarsity Press as Associate Editor. The cover’s wording is: “Asian American Ascent: They are finding their voices, leading churches, and connecting with people others cannot reach.” She also authored a handful of related articles (aka sidebar):
- Eugene Cho Leads the Quest for a Reconciled Church: The Seattle pastor believes Asian Americans need to speak out about race in America.
- InterVarsity’s Plan for a Culturally Diverse Staff: The campus ministry has pioneered intentional, personalized training for Asian American leaders.
- The Boomerang Effect: The generation of the ‘silent exodus’ has now started coming back.
- The Many Models of the Asian American Church: Once largely monocultural, Asian Americans’ churches are now as diverse as the country they call home.
- Plus, this Editor’s Note by Mark Galli—Confusions Abounding: Asian Americans cannot be pigeonholed.
The articles are currently subscriber only—the author, publisher, editors, and staff would encourage you to subscribe to Christianity Today Magazine and get access to these articles and more. I’ve heard (read) a couple times that these articles will be unlocked and made available to all (paywalls lowered) in about a week. #Patience. [update] @CTMagazine confirmed that: “Each article will be unlocked as they’re featured on the CT homepage, so readers should keep checking in!“
If one of your friends is a Christianity Today subscriber, there’s an option to “unlock this article for a friend” in the right sidebar. So be sure to ask nicely, use the magic word, and maybe you could read the articles sooner.
Helen Lee’s 1996 article “Silent Exodus: Can the East Asian church in America reverse the flight of its next generation?” was instrumental in raising awareness for churches to contextualize its ministry to next generation Asian Americans.