DJ’s Recommended Books
these are books that have changed me profoundly – list below compiled in 2005
- Connecting : Healing for Ourselves and Our Relationships; a Radical New Vision ~ Larry Crabb
Now this is a book which carries the heartbeat I have for authentic community; though I’ve not read the book yet, just the title and the content I anticipate from the author whom I admire greatly, I’m sure he articulates all that is involved in being genuine, honest, open people that leads to transformation by the grace of God.
- Desiring God : Meditations of a Christian Hedonist ~ John Piper
This book is the first book I’ve ever read that deals with my personal struggle of connecting my feelings with my actions. I had been so bound by duty, and resisted feeling. I now know that life is not one of duty but one of desire, and the ultimate desire is God! I was created to glorify God by enjoying Him forever!
- Love Your God With All Your Mind : The Role of Reason in the Life of the Soul ~ James Porter (J. P.) Moreland
What’s incredibly missing in Christianity is a respect and use of the mind, the main faculty by which most things are accomplished in life. With the dumbing down of Christian faith in the guise of “childlike faith” that’s really “childish faith”, we’ve given up so much in powerfully proclaiming and living out our faith in God.
- Eternal Impact : Investing in the Lives of Men ~ Phil Downer, Chip MacGregor
This book describes for me what life is all about, making an impact in the lives of people. I was discipled through the ministry of CBMC, and Phil Downer is the current president of CBMC, and many other people have
been impacted through genuine relationships of discipling and mentoring.
- Seeing God: Twelve Reliable Signs of True Spirituality ~ Gerald R. McDermott
This is the best book I’ve read to date, for it shows us what really makes a Christian a true Christian. In an imperfect world where there is much hypocrisy, self-righteousness, and religiosity, this book sorts through the posturing and false humility and ticket-punching Christian life, and shows us what a genuine life in Christ looks like.
- What’s So Amazing About Grace? ~ Philip Yancey
I’m in the process of reading this book, and it is an awesome collection of stories of grace. Stories that touch the heart and reveal so vividly the lavish richness and depth of God’s grace are poured out through the chapters of this book. Perhaps the most refreshing book you’ll ever read.
- The Grace Awakening ~ Charles R. Swindoll
The definitive book on a life of true freedom and liberty in Christ, said to be the most significant book by George Verwer of Operation Mobilization (a big missions speaker). I am reading through the book for my second time, and relish in the grace of God that frees me up from other’s expectations or rules, and rejoice in pleasing God alone.
- Bold Love ~ Dan B. Allender, Tremper Longman
This takes relationships to the next level. Being nice is not the most loving thing for a person sometimes. Love is much more powerful and engaging. Genuine concern and love for a person means to seek the best for that person and doing the right thing.
- Disappointment With God : Three Questions No One Asks Aloud ~ Philip Yancey
Life is tough, but God is good. Living in an imperfect world is often painful, and if God is so loving, why is there so much pain? This book is a classic in giving you a hopeful yet realistic look at life.
- Christian Caregiving : A Way of Life ~ Kenneth C. Haugk
This book came timely for me, and opened me up to care for people in a genuine, authentic, and powerful way. My greatest joy and fascination is with people and seeing life change, but sometimes it can also be a great frustration.
- Finding Faith : A Self-Discovery for Your Spiritual Quest ~ Brian D. McLaren
- Reinventing Your Church ~ Brian D. McLaren
- An 8-Track Church in a Cd World : The Modern Church in a Postmodern World ~ Robert N. Nash, Loren Mead
- Generating Hope : A Strategy for Reaching the Postmodern Generation ~ Jimmy Long
Hope : Understanding and Reaching Baby Busters ~ Todd Hahn, David Verhaagen
- Christian Apologetics in the Postmodern World ~ Timothy R. Phillips(Editor), Dennis L. Okholm (Editor)
- 21 Bridges to the 21st Century/the Future of Pastoral Ministry (Ministry for the Third Millenium); Lyle E. Schaller
- Revolution in Leadership : Training Apostles for Tomorrow’s Church (Ministry for the Third Millennium) ~ Reggie McNeal (Editor), Lyle E. Schaller
- The Missionary Congregation, Leadership, and Liminality (Christian Mission and Modern Culture) ~ Alan J. Roxburgh
- Subversive Spirituality ~ Eugene H. Peterson, Jim Lyster, John Sharon, Peter Santucci
- The Wisdom of Each Other : A Conversation Between Spiritual Friends (Spiritual Directions) ~ Eugene H. Peterson
- A Spiritual Formation Journal : A Renovare Resource for Spiritual Renewal ~ Jana Rea, Richard J. Foster
- A Spiritual Formation Workbook : Small Group Resources for Nurturing Christian Growth / a Renovare Resource for Spiritual Renewal ~ James Bryan Smith, Richard J. Foster
- Devotional Classics : Selected Readings for Individuals and Groups ~ Richard J. Foster(Editor), James Bryan Smith (Editor)
- Embracing the Love of God : The Path and Promise of Christian Life ~ James Bryan Smith, Richard, J. Foster
- Streams of Living Water : Celebrating the Great Traditions of Christian Faith ~ Richard J. Foster, Martin E. Marty
- Connecting : Healing for Ourselves and Our Relationships; a Radical New Vision ~ Larry Crabb
- The Return of the Prodigal Son : A Story of Homecoming ~ Henri J. M. Nouwen
Top Ten from Chuck Swindoll (Previous President of Dallas Seminary)
- The Pursuit of God ~ A.W. Tozer
- Through Gates of Splendor ~ Elizabeth Elliott (40th Anniversary Edition)
- Spiritual Leadership ~ J. Oswald Sanders
- Fearfully and Wonderfully Made ~ Paul Brand & Philip Yancey
- The Pilgrim’s Progress ~ John Bunyan
- Knowing God ~ J.I. Packer
- Lectures to My Students ~ Spurgeon
- Old and New Testament Bible Characters ~ Alexander Whyte
- The Measure of a Man ~ Gene Getz
- Listening to the Giants ~ Warren Wiersbe
Top Ten from Dr. John Walvoord (Previous President of Dallas Seminary)
- Systematic Theology ~ Lewis S. Chafer
- He That is Spiritual: A Classic Study of the Biblical Doctrine of Spirituality ~ Lewis S. Chafer
- Scofield Reference Bible, Revised
- Things to Come ~ Dwight Pentecost
- Balancing the Christian Life ~ Charles C. Ryrie
- Dispensationalism, Revised ~ Charles C. Ryrie
- Grace: An Exposition of God’s Marvelous Gift ~ Lewis S. Chafer
- Salvation: God’s Marvelous Work of Grace ~ Lewis S. Chafer
- Systematic Theology ~ Hodge
- Calvin’s Institutes of the Christian Religion ~ John Calvin
- Halftime: From Success to Significance ~ Bob Buford (Paperback edition also)
Use the best skills and wisdom to invest your resources for the next generation, and manage your stewardship for the Kingdom of God.
- Game Plan: Winning Strategies for the Second Half of Your Life ~ Bob Buford (Paperback edition also)
- From Success to Significance: When the Pursuit of Success Isn’t Enough ~ Lloyd Reeb
author helps dispel myth that one has to achieve financial independence before making changes in one’s life towards making Kingdom impact
- What on Earth Am I Here For? ~ Rick Warren (a summary booklet format of the best-selling book, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For?)
- In Pursuit of Happiness : Finding Genuine Fulfillment in Life ~ James Houston
The pursuit of happiness was deemed an inalienable right by America’s founding fathers, but now it seems to have degenerated into “everyone doing what is right in their own eyes”. This book examines not only different philosophies of how to get happiness, but also surveys how different personalities seek to be happy, concluding with a good summary of what truly satisfies. In other words, personal happiness has seemingly been turned into a relentless pursuit, bordering hedonistic idolatry. The deepest longings of the soul are explored in this book.
- Finding God ~ Larry Crabb
- Inside Out ~ Larry Crabb
- Men & Women : Enjoying the Difference ~ Larry Crabb
- The Jesus I Never Knew ~ Philip YanceyI can’t wait ’til I have time to read this; so many have a stereotype of Jesus that puts him in a box. Jesus is so much more, and I think this book brings it out. Nothing more awesome than a living encounter with Jesus!
- Why Am I Afraid to Tell You Who I Am? ~ John Powell
Classic book on transparency and interpersonal communication
- Why Am I Afraid to Love? : Overcoming Rejection and Indifference ~ John Powell
- Fully Human Fully Alive : A New Life Through a New Vision ~ John Powell
- The Finishing Touch : Becoming God’s Masterpiece : A Daily Devotional ~ Charles R. Swindoll
- The Purpose Driven Church : Growth Without Compromising Your Message & Mission ~ Rick Warren
- Let the Nations Be Glad! : The Supremacy of God in Missions ~ John Piper
- Your Work Matters to God ~ Doug Sherman
- Real Prosperity : Biblical Principles of Material Possessions ~ Gene Getz
There is much misunderstanding about the use of money; money is a powerful tool to be used to accomplish great tasks and to be a blessing! Don’t hoard the stuff, don’t sit on a nest egg, don’t cut corners. Use money, love people.
- A good friend recommends the Great Books of the Western World series, especially Shopenhower; these are great books and insightful for western civilization
- Center for the Study of The Great Ideas– Philosophy is Everybody’s Business
- In, But Not Of : A Guide to Christian Ambition ~ Hugh Hewitt, and also
Blog : Understanding the Information Reformation That’s Changing Your World
- Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood : A Response to Evangelical Feminism edited by John Piper, Wayne A. Grudem
- Dating With Integrity : Honoring Christ in Your Relationships With the Opposite Sex ~ John Holzmann
This guy’s approach to cross-gender relationships is even more radical than mine, and I’m told that mine is pretty radical! I’ll be posting my relationship theory online some time, as many have asked for it via email, but basically I don’t recommend recreational dating for Christians who want to be mature about it; enjoy cross-gender relationships built on honesty and commitment, and should God knit you closely and possibly lead you to marriage, use a courtship process.
- Pursuing the Pearl : A Comprehensive Resource for Multi-Asian Ministry ~ Kenneth Uyeda Fong (Judson, November 1999)
- Following Jesus Without Dishonoring Your Parents ~ Jeanette Yep, coordinator, with Peter Cha, Susan Cho Van Riesen, Greg Jao, and Paul Tokunaga (March 1998; IVP)
- The Accidental Asian : Notes of a Native Speaker ~ Eric Liu
The Accidental Asian is a rigorous self-examination–not merely about the costs and benefits of assimilation, but about whether assimilation should even be viewed in those terms. Read the first chapter excerpt.
- Winning Combination- ABC/OBC: Understanding the Cultural Tensions in Chinese Churches ~ Cec Yau
Old paperback published by Chinese Christian Mission, June 1987; a collection of articles that attempt to bridge the cultural gap between the Chinese American generations
- Chinese Culture and the Bible ~ David Hock Tey (Here’s Life Books, 1988)
- The Dragon Pilgrims : A Historical Study of a Chinese-American Church ~ Karl Fung (1991)
- Chinese Theology in Construction ~ Wing-Hung Lam (1983)
- Out of Silence : Emerging Themes in Asian American Churches ~ Fumitaka Matsuoka (1995)
- All Under Heaven : Transforming Paradigms in Confucian-Christian Dialogue
(Suny Series in Chinese Philosophy and Culture) ~ John H. Berthrong (1994)
- People on the Way : Asian North Americans Discovering Christ, Culture, and Community ~ David Ng, Editor
- Fire and Water : Basic Issues in Asian Buddhism and Christianity (Faith Meets Faith Series) ~ Aloysius Pieris
- Claiming America : Constructing Chinese American Identities During the Exclusion Era (Asian American History and Culture) ~ Kevin Scott Wong, Sucheng Chan, editors (1998)
- The First Suburban Chinatown : The Remaking of Monterey Park, California (Asian American History and Culture) ~ Timothy P. Fong
- Contemporary Chinese Culture ~ Richard Kraus (Nov 1997)
- The Asian Mind Game : Unlocking the Hidden Agenda of the Asian Business Culture : A Westerner’s Survival Manual ~ Chin-Ning Chu (1991)