I enjoy food + drinks. This page was initially built in 1999 or so. Now with Food Network on cable, food has become an even bigger pasttime for many! Here are good eats that I will go out of my way for:
my foodie short list
- Yogurtland – self-serve frozen yogurt, a new franchise in Southern California
- tips and notes about Maryland blue crabs — have a crab feast!
- FIVE GUYS – best burgers in the country!
- Chipotle, Baja Fresh, Popeye’s, Jerry’s Subs
- Bill’s Virginia Barbeque (in Richmond, Virginia; Boulevard exit)
- Frozen Custard, at Milwaukee Frozen Custard (Chantilly), Goodberry’s in Raleigh NC, Pack’s Frozen Custard in Winchester VA 540-667-1301 on Weems Lane and Loudoun St. [cf. check custardlist.com to find a place that has this delicacy!]
- Matuba Japan – great box lunch specials and rotary sushi bar at its Bethesda location
- birch beer (usually found in parts of Pennsylvania, and a few other locales)
- Cherry Limeade, at Sonic Drive-In & Burger Street
foodie websites and blogs
- Yelp – restaurant reviews with the genius of social networking / wisdom of the crowd
- Tyler Cowen’s Ethnic Dining Guide – excellent restaurant guide for Northern Virginia and expanding to cover much of metro Washington DC too
- www.dcfoodies.com : the politics of dining
- food-plan.org : Reviews and rankings for restaurants located in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, DC. Also offers a selection of essays.