Recently I’ve been looking for podcasts to subscribe to for my commute time. I’m most interested in the intersection of social and spiritual things, aka people & relationships, which isn’t as popular as topics like technology or cooking or celebrity gossip.
In the Christian podcasting world, most podcasts are sermons or teachings or devotionals or church tech; that’s okay for the masses. I’m looking to check the “other” box, not so much what books tag as “Christian life”; just Christians (and Christian-friendly people) talking about a faith-informed life.
Here’s a list of active podcasts I’ve found so far — if you know others, please do let me know:
- Social Media Church podcast – the place for conversations with church leaders about social media, hosted by DJ Chuang // [update Jan.2014: see the Christian Podcast Directory for an up-to-date listing of Christian podcasts that aren't sermons] //
- The Spoutcast – a weekly podcast where they “spout off the news to those who drink from the well,” as in The Well Community Church (Fresno, California)
- One Extraordinary Marriage – Tony and Alisa DiLorenzo share tips and stories on how to create the marriage that you want
- Something Beautiful - stories worth talking about: stories about God, life, friends, family and why it all matters (w @JDBlundell et al)
- Foster Parenting – foster parents Tim and Wendy as they discuss foster care and adoption
- Homebrew Christianity – Tripp & Chad crafting, experimenting, imagining, and sharing a Christian faith that is life-giving
- Let’s Talk It’s Relationship - Bob, David, and Loren from Family Room Media discuss real life issues and the exciting journey of life in God outside of institutional Christianity
- Beyond the Box - life beyond the box of institutional religion
- Two Blind Squirrels Podcast - Christian comedy podcast that features everything from new contemporary Christian artists to two off key goofs singing about nothing.
- [update] Lifehouse Podcast – discuss how God has influenced our lives and interviews with other Christians [iTunes]
- Frederica Here and Now with Frederica Matthewes-Green and more podcasts at Ancient Faith Radio
- International Arts Movement (IAM) podcast
- Frequency.FM podcast – Tune in to the Christian Artist community, with Dan Thomson and Joe Brookhouse
- The Wally Show – Wally infuses Christian radio with a good balance of humor and heart
- The Church Planter Podcast – by Peyton Jones (author of Church Zero) and Pete Mitchell
- Cold Case Christianity Podcast – an apologetics podcast by J Warner Wallace, a former LAPD detective who specialized in cold case crimes
- Worship Ministry Podcast by David Lindner
- Christian Music Blog by Nate Fancher
- #bonus Steve McCoy of Reformissionary has a good list of other non-sermon Christian leadership podcasts
- #bonus Seven Great Religion Podcasts via Lutheran Confessions
- Frank the Podcast - a humorous and irreverent look at life informed by faith (w @DarinMcWatters et al)
Aside: the term “podcast” has been co-opted for audio files posted on a website. Podcasts I’m listing here are those that can be subscribed via iTunes or a podcatcher app (cf. Google Listen or Podkicker on Android), and are recorded & produced only for the podcast show, not recordings from other broadcast media. This list isn’t for dormant podcasts (cf. The Nick & Josh Podcast, Wired Parish), only those that are actively updated, like weekly.