Christian Celebrities: An unauthoritative list [and incomplete] of celebrities in the media spotlight who profess to be followers of Jesus Christ.
Cuba Goodling Jr.
Elisabeth Filarski Hasselbeck [met in NYC!]
Carrie Underwood (American Idol IV)
This list does not include the many Christian athletes, musicians, nor pastors. Those industries are developing their own celebrity-dom and someone else can do a list for them. 🙂
After some extensive research, I found only a few other lists online.. see these other web sites for celebrity Christians:
- about.com’s Christian celebrities: actors and personalities
- Tim Storey is known as “Pastor to the Stars” — hosts gatherings where many stars go for spiritual nurture
- Celebrity Spotlight Ministries and its online prayer group
- Famous Christians
- Famous Christians at christianadvice.net lists Kim Alexis, Kathie Lee Gifford, and others
- Adherents.com has the most exhaustive lists of famous Christians, including Some Famous Christian Entertainers (TV, movies, sports and music), Baptists, “Born Again” Christians, Catholics, Episcopalians, Lutherans, Nazarenes, Methodists, Presbyterians
- Wikipedia has a List of Christians
- About.com’s Christian Actors and Christian Personalities
- Famous Christians in the media
- International Society for Excellence in Christian Film & Television
- The Christian Actors Web Site
- Hollywood Prayer Network
- Cybernetic Light Christian E-Zine
- ChristianSpeakers.com and Ambassador Speakers Bureau has a large list of Christian celebrities available for speaking gigs
- Church of the Masses – blog of Barb Nicolosi, a Catholic Christian well acquainted with Hollywood culture and faith
- on Ranker: 30+ Celebrities Who Are Born-Again Christians + 70+ Celebrities Who Are Christians + List of Celebrities Who Go to Church + Famous Southern Baptists + Famous Methodists + Famous Presbyterians
PeopleJustLikeUs.org– Positive Role Models, Christian Athletes and Celebrities [defunct as of September 2004] YOU! Magazine‘s Celebrities index [defunct as of November 2003; cache]
Lacey Chabert from www.youmagazine.com/artent.htm [cached]
Did you know that Lacey Chabert (Claudia on “Party of Five,” and Penny of “Lost in Space” the movie) is very active with charities? Pediatric Aids is one of the big causes she helps out. Lacey is also a Christian. “Jesus is the center of my life and I give God the glory for everything, for all my success.”
Renee Russo from http://mrshowbiz.go.com/people/renerusso/content/bio.html
An over-practically-before-it-began marriage at age 29 and the demise of her modeling career shortly thereafter prompted some heavy soul-searching, and Russo experienced a strong connection with the works of noted British author and essayist C. S. Lewis, in particular his 1952 reflection Mere Christianity. She became a deeply committed Christian, and buried herself in the Bible; as she later told one interviewer, “This isn’t a philosophy? God walks with me.”.
We don’t know what it is that people find so fascinating about celebrities. There are plenty of juicy celebrity gossip, celebrity news, latest Hollywood gossip, celebrity trivia, entertainment news, ad nauseum. What else do you want to find out about the celebrities besides who they’re dating? Some of them are visually attractive, granted, but wouldn’t that mean people would want to find photos and not the gossip? What about their faith?
We have not yet confirmed what the faith status or spirituality of extremely popular celebrities like Paris Hilton, Pamela Anderson, Jennifer Lopez, Brooke Burke, Tara Reid, Angelina Jolie, Carmen Electra, Hilary Duff. It sure would be easier if they’d contact me here, and then we can go on record with it. I’m just here to help!
What about media celebrities? Dr. Laura Schlessinger was on CBN, yes, that’s Christian Broadcasting Network. Dr. Laura had renounced Judaism. Oprah Winfrey has a substantial media empire; while raised Baptist, she’s described as having a broad new-agey spirituality. Regardless, Oprah is generous through her philanthropy.
Some other highly searched for women celebrities include Jessica Simpson, Anna Nicole Smith, Christina Aguilera, Mariah Carey, Anna Kournikova, Jennifer Aniston, Alyssa Milano, Olsen Twins, Madonna, Beyonce Knowles. Other divas that people apparently love to watch if statistics telling include Torrie Wilson, Avril Lavigne, Halle Berry, Jessica Alba, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Janet Jackson, Denise Richards, Trish Stratus, Joanie Laurer, Salma Hayek. Notably missing are Eva Longoria, Teri Hatcher, Shania Twain, Jennifer Garner, Nicole Kidman, Gwen Stefani, Shakira, Kelly Clarkson, Scarlett Johanson.