Saturday Surprises: more than Louie Giglio church planting
Why Saturday Surprises? I find more stuff than I can blog about. And, it’s sorta my version of Contextless Links [jordoncooper.com was 1st early adopter I know of], Friday Link List, Random Links, Links List, Mixed Links: Good Stuff for Nonprofit Marketers…. other places I share my finds: my public Google Notebooks, del.icio.us/djchuang, Digital @ Leadership Network …
- confirmed: Louie Giglio starting Passion Church in Atlanta – hear it straight from Louie on this video; twitter is discussed on the video; according to Louie, no date or location yet, no blog yet, despite what the rumor mill might crank out; read WOOHOO blessings from Carlos “Ragamuffinsoul” Whittaker; my thoughts: Thrilled to hear of the news with Passion Church launching… [let’s] rejoice and celebrate others who are seeking to reach more people — so contrarian to territorialism, turf wars, and name-calling pirates
- Texting While Walking May Be Dangerous : NPR; texting while driving is even more dangerous; cf. Newsweek posted this AP piece: “… Most involve scrapes, cuts and sprains from texters who walked into lampposts or walls or tripped over curbs.” via LA Times’ Texting — the modern way to run with scissors?
- I started using CushyCMS – excellent (free) web-based website editor, don’t have to use FTP or client software to update content any more!
- Chess-Boxing Hits it Big; I play chess with my son, but only boxing on Wii
- Plaxo is bought out by Comcast Interactive Media; good for Plaxo but I don’t get it
- Christian sex better than Kama Sutra, which translates to The Better Your Walk with God, The Better Your Sex Life [ht: MondayMorningInsight]
- will “Vivanno” be as iconic a word as “Frappuccino?” — I don’t think so, unfortunately [disclosure: I’m a former SBUX shareholder]
I don't think I like the idea of Louie planting a church…
It's not Louie OR a territorial mindset. But my fear is, as a resident of Atlanta, we get another ultra-hip, local-church-focused, attractional, seeker-sensitive… church along with the other hundreds that look to Louie and Passion as their beacon of ecclesial hope.
I sometimes wish that America would secularize itself faster so that our Christianity is forced to change into a anti-power, subversive faith that requires MUCH LESS than stadium-style seating and jumbotron screens with really well-dressed and poster-boy worship leaders.
Again, I don't doubt Louie's heart. He is an amazing man of God. But ministries that stress “local church growth” just seem to miss the mark in my book.