Relief from crazy Christian beliefs
I found a bunch of these brand new books in storage at the back of my closet —
9 copies to be exact. False Assumptions: Relief from 12 “Christian” beliefs that can drive you crazy by Dr. Henry Cloud & Dr. John Townsend (authors of Boundaries). It’s more copies than I need, and it’s a great book. I think it’d be great to have a discussion in a small group or Bible study around this book. (Actually, it’d be great for blog-based discussion too, but I didn’t want to cover all shipping costs to get it around..)
Here’s the 12 spiritual-sounding ideas that can drive you crazy:
- It’s selfish to have my needs met.
- If I’m spiritual enough, I will have no pain or sinfulness.
- If I change my behavior, I will grow spiritually and emotionally.
- I just need to give it to the Lord.
- One day, I’ll be finished with recovery.
- Leave the past behind.
- If I had God, I don’t need people.
- “Shoulds” are good.
- Guilt and shame are good for me.
- If I make right choices, I will grow spiritually.
- Just doing the right thing is more important than why I do it.
- If I know the truth, I will grow.