spiritual formation is the actualization that a life of the Spirit is lived from the heart, specifically, one’s heart desires and wants.. and that it is the life from the heart that shows the life of faith that God has redeemed the
heart, and will shape it and guide it as we listen to it – when we err, God will make it known to us, and we can confess it, repent, and He will forgive and cleanse..
New Way Ministries – Larry Crabb’s new venture, my favorite person who’s able to articulate so well the concept of spiritual formation through authentic community and relationships [cf.
School of Spiritual Direction, and Soul Care Foundations]
Renovaré – Renovaré is the best comprehensive resource I’ve found re: spiritual formation, as it is committed to working for the renewal of the Church of Jesus Christ in all her
The Center for Personal and Relational Growth (CPRG) of Bannockburn Institute for Christianity and Contemporary Culture (BICCC) promotes discussions, stimulates research, develops programmatic
initiatives, and sponsors publication projects that engage with various personal growth and relational issues.
Center for Evangelical Spirituality – a ministry dedicated to fostering spiritual growth within the Christian community through an integrated study of Scripture, church history, and the Christian
The Shalem Institute for Spiritual Formation – an ecumenical Christian organization devoted to the support of contemplative spirituality
Evan Howard on Spiritual Formation:
In short, Christian “spiritual formation” refers to the process by which believers become more fully conformed and united to Christ, especially with regard to maturity of life and calling. Instruction, personal relationships, spiritual
disciplines–even simply reflecting on the trials of the day–all can facilitate spiritual formation insofar as they are aimed at this purpose of cultivating growth toward maturity in Christ. [read full article]
- spiritual formation library
- Streams of Living Water : Celebrating the Great Traditions of Christian Faith ~ Richard J. Foster, Martin E. Marty
- Understanding Who You Are: What Your Relationships Tell You About Yourself ~ Larry Crabb
- Shattered Dreams : God’s Unexpected Pathway to Joy ~ Larry Crabb
- The Safest Place on Earth ~ Larry Crabb
This paints a picture of a place where God can heal disconnected people and allow them to reconnect with each other and, ultimately, with Him (which should be the church, but many of our experiences tell us otherwise)
- Connecting : Healing for Ourselves and Our Relationships; a Radical New Vision ~ Larry Crabb
- Sacred Pathways ~ Gary Thomas
This book strips away the frustration of a one-size-fits-all spirituality and guides you toward a path of worship that frees you to be you. Experienced spiritual directors recognize that all of us pray and worship differently; Sacred
Pathways unfolds nine distinct spiritual temperaments—-their traits, strengths, and pitfalls.
- Seeing God: Twelve Reliable Signs of True Spirituality ~ Gerald R. McDermott
This is the best book I’ve read to date, for it shows us what really makes a Christian a true Christian. In an imperfect world where there is much hypocrisy, self-righteousness, and religiosity, this book sorts through the posturing and false humility
and ticket-punching Christian life, and shows us what a genuine life in Christ looks like.
- A Spiritual Formation Journal : A Renovare Resource for Spiritual Renewal ~ Jana Rea, Richard J. Foster
- A Spiritual Formation Workbook : Small Group Resources for Nurturing Christian Growth / a Renovare Resource for Spiritual Renewal ~ James Bryan Smith, Richard J. Foster
- Devotional Classics : Selected Readings for Individuals and Groups ~ Richard J. Foster (Editor), James Bryan Smith (Editor)
- Subversive Spirituality ~ Eugene H. Peterson, Jim Lyster, John Sharon, Peter Santucci
- The Wisdom of Each Other : A Conversation Between Spiritual Friends (Spiritual Directions) ~ Eugene H. Peterson
- Embracing the Love of God : The Path and Promise of Christian Life ~ James Bryan Smith, Richard, J. Foster
- Other notable contemporary authors: Eugene Peterson, James Houston, J.I. Packer, Larry Crabb