Thinking and writing about the study of God is known as theology. And in some ways, all of us who are Christ-followers are theologians in that we read and study the Bible. We are commanded to love God with all our mind. However, there are also theologians who are paid professionals, often seminary professors, Bible teachers, or scholarly pastors.
As I compile these 2 lists—theologians with blogs and theologians with books, some do have both—I recognize that these are very elastic categories, that is, should I include Asian theologians? And what about pastors or sociologists? I’ll just post these lists first and see what feedback can be crowdsourced to enhance this.
Asian North American Theologians who are Bloggers
- Fred Mok’s Rant of the Exiles (cf. “Why Asian American Theology Sucks“)
- Mihee Kim-Kort ~ Pastor. Mother. Student. Writer. Itinerant. Hopemonger.
- Grace Ji-Sun Kim ~ Loving Life
- Engage Scriptures ~ Sam Tsang’s Bible and Culture Blog
- Kwok Pui Lan – On postcolonialism, theology, and everything she cares about
- Tim Tseng
- Justin Tse – Eastern Catholic Person
Asian North American Theologians who are Published Authors
- Tapestry of Grace: Untangling the Cultural Complexities in Asian American Life and Ministry – by Benjamin C. Shin and Sheryl Takagi Silzer
Conversations: Asian American Evangelical Theologies In Formation – edited by DJ Chuang and Timothy Tseng
- The Future of Evangelical Theology: Soundings from the Asian American Diaspora – by Amos Yong
- Double Particularity: Karl Barth, Contextuality, and Asian American Theology – by Daniel D. Lee
- Prophetic Lament: A Call for Justice in Troubled Times & Many Colors: Cultural Intelligence for a Changing Church & The Next Evangelicalism: Freeing the Church from Western Cultural Captivity – by Soong-Chan Rah
- Introducing Asian American Theologies – by Jonathan Y. Tan
- Theological Reflections on “Gangnam Style”: A Racial, Sexual, and Cultural Critique (Asian Christianity in the Diaspora) – by Joseph Cheah and Grace Ji-Sun Kim
- Off the Menu: Asian and Asian North American Women’s Religion and Theology – Edited by Rita Nakashima Brock, Jung Ha Kim, Pui-lan Kwok, Seung Ai Yang
- Making Paper Cranes: Toward an Asian American Feminist Theology – by Mihee Kim-Kort
- From a Liminal Place: An Asian American Theology – by Sang Hyun Lee
- Society of Asian North American Christian Studies (SANACS)
- Asian American Theological Forum
- Pacific, Asian, and North American Asian Women in Theology and Ministry (PAMAAWTM)
- Hispanic and Asian North American Theologians Together: A groundbreaking consultation (July 2015)
Are there others that should be added to the list here? Please add a comment, or contact me if the comments are closed.
I’ve got a good amount of Black leaders I read from, but can y’all point me to some Asian & Latinx theological thinkers? Books please
— Steve Patton (@StevenPatton) August 18, 2017