The Internet namespace is expanding faster than ever, with an estimated 1000+ new generic top-level domains (gTLD) launching in the next 2 years. At the time of this writing, there are 21 brand new gTLDs (aka domain extensions) publicly available in English. Technically, there are also 200+ 2-letter ccTLDs (country-code top-level domains) plus the previously available 20+ gTLDs (that include .COM, .NET, .ORG), plus new gTLDs with non-English characters like شبكة .游戏 .онлайн .сайт – so, technically, there are already hundreds of domain suffixes, with hundreds more launching in the weeks and months ahead. Today on 2/19/2014, registration for new domain names with these 7 new domain suffixes were made available to the public:
In this blog series, I’ve been surveying first-mover websites using the newly-available gTLDs. Out of the first 7 that were launched public on 2/5/14, there are some good websites up-and-running on .BIKE + .CLOTHING + .GURU, and currently, websites with 1 of the remaining gTLDs, .HOLDINGS .PLUMBING .SINGLES .VENTURES, are harder to find::
- http://jmtripolone.holdings launched by JMTripolone.com
- http://knight.holdings launched by davidknight.net
- http://santamonica.plumbing + http://culvercity.plumbing + http://marinadelrey.plumbing launched by bobandmarcplumbing.com
- http://stuart.plumbing + http://stlucie.plumbing launched by qualitydrainsolutions.com
- http://suttoncoldfield.plumbing launched by suttoncoldfield-plumbing.co.uk
- http://yourlocalplumber.plumbing is sblocalplumber.com
- http://entangled.ventures belongs to entangled.io
- http://sjain.ventures belongs to sjain.co
- http://barburas.ventures belongs to barburas.com
- http://datingapp.singles is an app for choiceoflove.com
What can we deduce from these early indicators? It’s taking more than 2 weeks for websites to get built and launched. And it’s going to take more time for these new domain extensions to catch on with the public.
All these new domain extensions have a lot at stake; these first domain extensions are just 28 of 307 gTLD registries being operated by Donuts, with an investment over $57 million. Also in the Donuts portfolio is… the .CHURCH gTLD.