Peter Scazzero is one of the few authors that compellingly connect spiritual maturity and emotional life. Since he’s got a couple of published books, that lends reliability and rings authoritative more than articles I’ve found randomly on the internet. [ cf. official website, EmotionallyHealthy.org, has resources for individuals, groups, and even church-wide; video introduction to emotionally healthy spirituality ]
- It Is Impossible To Be Spiritually Mature Without Being Emotionally Mature.
- To Be Emotionally Mature You Must Be Willing To Look Beneath The Surface.
- To Be Emotionally Mature You Must Go Backward To Go Forward.
- To Be Emotionally Mature You Must Learn To Manage Pain.
… It’s the most down-to-earth, spiritually practical and inspiring book I’ve read in a very long time…
Peter Scazzero, the author, makes the point that you may be spiritually committed, yet so emotionally unhealthy that it renders you spiritually unhealthy. He states that unless we deal with our emotional immaturity we can’t be effective or whole as Christians, and in fact it can cost us everything.
… I wanted to buy a copy for each of about fifteen people in my life. That, my friends, is the mark of a life-changing book.
Kevin Martineau listed the “Top Ten Symptoms of Emotionally Unhealthy Spirituality” from Scazzero’s book::
- Using God to Run from God: At times we use Christian activities as an unconscious attempt to escape from pain.
- Ignoring the Emotions of Anger, Sadness, and Fear
- Dying to the Wrong Things: Some people believe that the miserable you are the more that God loves you.
- Denying the Past’s Impact on the Present
- Dividing Our Lives into “Secular” and “sacred” Compartments
- Doing for God instead of being for God
- Spiritualizing away conflict
- Covering over brokenness, weakness, and failure
- Living without limits
- Judging others people’s spiritual journey
Read the original list with descriptions for each of the Top Ten Symptoms of Emotionally Unhealthy Spirituality [pdf] via the official website.
And, there’s one more thing.
I just found this series of 16 talks titled Emotionally Healthy Spirituality from Newheart Foursquare Church (Simi Valley, CA) by Paul Kuzma. Though I haven’t listened to them all, yet, I have faith that these would be wonderfully holistic and healthy for the heart and soul.